Jihad_Miller
Participant

A. I think healthcare facilities should be willing to offer employment opportunities to ex-prisoners because I believe in the ideal of everyone deserves second chances. All people are human beings and one of the major flaws of being human is making mistakes. Some mistakes are more costly than others. But I do think that there should be more opportunities for people to redeem themselves. Over the past decade, hospitals and healthcare facilities have been giving more people with criminal offenses second chances. It jump started with John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland and has become more popular over the years. One of the main barriers that prevented ex-offenders from applying for jobs was laws that had restrictions for those with certain offenses such as theft and murder. However, some states such as Pennsylvania are taking steps to help those people. In 2015, the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania eliminated those laws and In 2017, the state of Illinois began allowing people with forcible felony offenses to petition for professional licenses in healthcare. As more states start lifting some of restrictions on ex-offenders, I believe more healthcare facilities will be willing to give these people a chance. However, ultimately its up to the individual to make the best of their second opportunity.
    D. One can conclude that increased co-morbidities of chronic diseases that are present in a patient will lead to increased mortality rates. According to the Center for Disease Control, chronic deaths are responsible for seven out of ten deaths in the U.S. Adding co-morbidities to that will increase the mortality rate. You would more likely see cases of co-morbidities of chronic diseases in minority communities due to the lack of healthcare access in those areas. African American children have the highest rate of asthma in the U.S. Additionally, Hispanics and African Americans are the top two ethnicities with the highest rates of diabetes. Our communities suffer from this because we don’t have the same access to public healthcare as non-minorities do.